Sunday, December 5, 2010

Fear of Being Wrong

Recent experience has reminded me that it hurts to be so wrong, especially when I've been so sure of my position. With that comes a fresh wound of sheepishness, which sting is augmented by the public eye.
Of course I didn't want to feel alone in my pain, so I was acutely aware of the sight of that same fear in others.I especially feel sheepish when this happens because I was sure I was the type of person that was always open to differing opinions or being okay if I was wrong. But APPARENTLY it still hurts to be wrong.

I've realized that fear of being wrong is rooted in pride, and when applied to a broad group I came up with the following conclusion.
The majority of the problems in this world remain unresolved, and are even furthered by mankind's fear of being wrong. For every wrong scenario in this world there doesn't have to be a cackling evil master-mind behind it all, but simply a slew of people that fear being wrong, and fail to submit to better idea, or the seemingly audacious truth.

So my point is we'd all to better to not be silly and not be afraid of being wrong, but welcome any influence that leads you to the right idea, what's good, and yes even the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment