Monday, May 9, 2011

The Poisoning


This is an entry from my journal describing my recent experience with carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend.
I was working at home in the basement cutting a trench in the foundation in order to put in a drain for what will be the new laundry room some day. The chop saw for concrete was gas powered. I brought in the shop-vac attached to a long drain hose that went all the way outside in order to pull in fresh air. This obviously was not enough. I would take breaks outside, then go back in and cut some more. I did this over the space of about 4 or 5 hours. I ignored my headache. I ignored the CO detector. I ignored the smoke alarm.  Driven to complete the task I kept working despite all the blatant warnings to not proceed.
 I was getting fatigued and the headache got worse. Late that night Mom took me to the emergency room to get my blood checked. They put me on oxygen and drew my blood. When the test came back they found the carboxyl level was at 15, where 10 is dangerous and requires treatment, and that was hours after I had stopped working. In order to get the carbon monoxide out of my system before it caused permanent nerve damage and brain damage I was transported by ambulance to Utah Valley Regional Hospital in Provo. There awaited a hyperbaric chamber; which is basically a large tank that simulates diving to various depths under seawater by compressing the air in the tank. While at 66ft I was given 100% oxygen to replace the carbon monoxide in my blood cells with oxygen. This is necessary because the CO attaches much easier to red blood cells than O2. So by putting the body under that much pressure the CO is forced out of my skin and the O2 I breathe is circulated into my blood. My first dive was to be for 3 hours. 
Before entering, Trevor and Dad gave me a blessing of healing, promising that the poison would leave my body and that there would be no long-term effects. I remember Dad distinctly saying that the genius of modern medicine would “assist” in this priesthood blessing. It was a reminder that the Priesthood presided in that healing process, and that modern medicine was the assistant. Amazing.
Annette was the nurse who helped me with my first dive. She was very kind and didn’t seem bothered at all to be called into work at such an hour. The experience was amazing. To feel the air get warmer as the air compressed and air molecules got closer together was fascinating. At 66ft depth I couldn’t whistle and could only speak in a “smurph” voice, which was VERY entertaining.  In order to administer the oxygen I had a collar that sealed around my neck, and a transparent dome shaped helmet/bag that was put over my head. I must admit it caused a bit of claustrophobia to arise, but I quickly put it back down as I breathed deeply the oxygen. The rest of the time was occupied by watching the movie “Hook”, the bag over my head was big enough to accommodate headphones.
When I was done Annette asked a few questions for the sake of research. One question she asked caused me to ponder, “why did you take out the carbon monoxide detector after it went off”? I couldn’t answer her without feeling dumb, but I manned up and said, “Honestly, I thought I was better than the detector”.  I then waited for Chris to pick me up and take me home. I went back that day only after 2 hours of sleep for another 2hr treatment, and another at 3pm till I was pronounced clean.
So, I was thinking while eating dinner at home of all the implications this lesson has. I could almost hear Mormon say “thus we see…” Let’s look at this: there was an invisible and an undetectable element that is poisonous to the body. There were advanced and accurate detectors beyond human ability that warned of the invisible threat saying, “Leave! Get to fresh air immediately!” That was ignored. Because it was ignored, immense pain and fatigue followed. A tiring and lengthy healing process was in order. Something striking about this particular situation is that a poisoned body was going to sustain irreversible damage if not remedied soon. But thanks to the priesthood and trained physicians a poisoned body was cleaned and restored.  Thus we see…  and I’ll let you fill in the rest. 

1 comment:

  1. In spite of our mucho stupido behavior, we were mercifully guided and directed out of this could-be-tragic scenario to celebrate life and healing. Filled with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete